SDU Academy Information
What is SDU Academy?
SDU Academy is an extra training environment for players who want to accelerate their development! Players of any skill level are welcome. Please be aware that SDU Academy is a tiered training environment. Players will be assessed and placed in groups with other players of equal or similar ability. This may mean that you child will be asked to train with players in an older age group depending on their current level of play. These groups change with frequency dependant on the current development level of the player. For example, a player may start in the tier 3 group and progress up to the tier 1 group depending on how they develop throughout the season. The amount of “tiers” is dependant on the number of players registered in a particular age group.
When is SDU Academy?
SDU Academy will take place Monday evenings from September to March. The exact dates are:
- September 18- November 27 (No SDU Academy on October 9 due to Thanksgiving)
- January 8- March 5 (No SDU Academy on February 12 due to Family Day)
What are the training times for SDU Academy?
**Please be aware that these training times might change slightly due to imbalanced registration numbers at different age groups.
U5 (2013 born) 5:15-6pm
U6 (2012 born) 5:15-6pm
U7 (2011 born) 5:15-6pm
U8 (2010 born) 5:15-6:10pm
U9 (2009 born) 6:15-7:15pm
U10 (2008 born) 6:15-7:15pm
U11 (2007 born) 6:15-7:15pm
U12 (2006 born) 7:30-8:30pm
U13 (2005 born) 7:30-8:30pm
Where is SDU Academy?
What is PDS? For U8 (2010 born) and U9 (2009 born) Boys and Girls Parents
- PDS stands for “Premier Development Series”.
- It is a league of play for the more advanced players in the U8 (2010 born) and U9 (2009 born) age groups.
- SDU PDS teams play against other clubs from the South Fraser District (Delta and Surrey). There are no league standings.
- For players who are interested in participating in the PDS, the parents must first register their child in the SDU Academy. We will then assess the suitability of the player to play at that level.
- We do not consider these “teams”. Instead they are groups of players who will have an opportunity to play PDS if they are suitable to the level of play. These players will also be registered on a house team within their age group.
- Depending on registration numbers, we might have a 15-20 player pool of players for a certain PDS age group. Each week a group of 8-10 players is selected to represent SDU in their age group. the remaining players would play for their house team. If there is not a PDS game conflict with the SDU house game schedule, we encourage your child to play in both the PDS game (if selected that week) and the SDU house game.
- Due to the very young age of these players, we do not want to select and remove a small group of players. It is important that we give the opportunity to develop to as many of these players as possible.
What do the players need to wear?
Players who register for academy must be aware that they are expected to wear club training gear. An SDU Training jersey is included with each registration. This can be purchased from the online club store, at THIS LINK.
GOAL KEEPER ACADEMY
In addition to the regular Academy sessions, SDU goalkeeper coach Helmut Wiebe will be working with our young 'keepers to give them the chance for some professional training. Sessions will run alongside regular Monday night Academy.
Times will be offset from regular Academy sessions to accomodate those players who may wish to enroll in both sessions.
Older goalkeepers will train 6:00-7:00
Younger goalkeepers will train 7:15 - 8:15
What does the Academy cost?
SDU Monday Night Academy: $265.00 which includes an SDU Training shirt.
SDU Goalkeeper Academy: $265.00 which includes a pair of GK gloves.
$20.00 sibling discount.